OUCH! Mr Blackwell's annual Best and Worst Dressed list is addictively, almost shockingly unkind, and this year's version is no different.
"From overexposed, underdressed and over-the-top Pop Tarts to the beyond-bad bling-blind brigade, the fashion landscape was littered with a litany of taste-free terrors," the famously direct style commentator said, before singling out 23-year-old Britney Spears as 2005's worst fashion criminal: "When it comes to couture chaos, this tacky terror should take a bow – looks like an over-the-hill Lolita. From the princess of pop to the ultimate fashion flop."
Next up was Mary Kate Olsen: "In bag lady rags that look depressingly decayed – forget the accessories and buy some Raid." The top ten of sartorially challenged stars included Jessica Simpson, Eva Longoria, Mariah Carey, Paris Hilton, regular Blackwell-lister Anna Nicole Smith ("Queen Kong in cheap lingerie"), Shakira, Lindsay Lohan and Renee Zellweger (see the full extent of their low fashion grades below), while Fabulous Fashion Independents of 2005 included:
Reese Witherspoon, Kirsten Dunst, Kathy Hilton, Dionne Warwick, Ginny Mancini, Nicole Kidman, Caroline Herrera, Scarlett Johansson, Kate Moss and Natalie Portman. "These women are a welcome sight as they glow and blossom with effortless beauty and memorable style," says Blackwell.
Worst Dressed list
1. BRITNEY SPEARS: "When it comes to couture chaos, this tacky terror should take a bow – looks like an over-the-hill Lolita. From the princess of pop to the ultimate fashion flop."
2. MARY KATE OLSEN: "In bag lady rags that look depressingly decayed – forget the accessories and buy some Raid."
3. JESSICA SIMPSON: "It's time to sack the stylist and divorce the designer… she resembles a cut-rate Rapunzel slingin' hash in a Vegas diner."
4. EVA LONGORIA: "Gorgeous face, garish taste… what a waste."
5. MARIAH CAREY: "The world applauds your musical emancipation… but please – leave that body to our imagination."
6. PARIS HILTON: "The Burger Queen Sensation may be very rich – but she looks like yesterday's cheesecake… with a side of kitsch."
7. ANNA NICOLE SMITH: "Queen Kong in cheap lingerie."
8. SHAKIRA: "Coiffure by Medusa… clothes by the Marquis De Sade."
9. LINDSAY LOHAN: "The Teen Scream defines Fashion Fright – looks like she's aged 30 years overnight."
10. RENEE ZELLWEGER: "Runs the gamut from Kewpi Doll Dreck to Red Carpet Wreck… she looks like a painted pumpkin on a pogo stick."
(January 11 2006, AM)